Why do people sing? The 19th century American poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow may have said it best: "Music is the universal language of mankind."
Even when our spoken words cannot be understood, music can bridge a gap where our words often fail. Joy, sorrow, fear, exaltation, praise, energy=every facet of life can be reflected in music. And when words are added, especially words that edify and inspire and communicate to the heart, all the better.
Why do we sing songs in church? The Early Church did so because of the Jewsih culture of singing the psalms in worship. But why did Israel sing? Because they were human and needed to pour out their hearts to God in praise, confession, petition, and love. We also sing in corporate worship because Paul instructed us to praise God with "psalms and hymns and spiritual songs" (Ephesians 5:19). Corporate worship, especially with music, focuses our attention on the Savior we serve.
Be filled with the Spirit, speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord.
Pray for Len Hayles, Barbara Minger, Rebecca Williams,(Barbara's mother) Ruby Messer, Jackie Freeman, our pastor and wife, and our West Oaks Academy.
DID YOU KNOW
- --Laughter is like medicine.
- --There are people who in their honest moments ought to sing thesse hymns:
- "I Surrender Some"
- "There Shall Be Sprinkles of Blessings"
- "Fill My Spoon, Lord"
- "Oh, How I like Jesus"
- "When the Saints Go Sneaking In"
BITS AND PIECES
- **We are what we eat, said a wise old man. If that's true I'm a garbage can.
- **I want to rise on Judgment day that's plain, but at my present weight, I'll need a change. So grant me strength that I may not fall, into the clutches of cholesterol.
- **And oleo margarine I'll never mutter, for the road to death is spread with butter.
- **And cream is cursed and cake is awful, and satan is hiding in every waffle.
- **Sunday School Teacher: "Do you remember your memory verse, Charlie?"
Charlie:"I sure do, I even remember the zip code - John 3:16".
- **What excuse did Adam give to his children as to why he no longer lived in Eden?
A-Your mother ate us out of house and home.
- **How did Adam and Eve feel when expelled from the Garden of Eden?
A-They were really put out.