Our great nation grew out of a handful of Pilgrims with red blood in their veins, iron in their wills, and the love of God in their hearts. They braved the dangers and hardships of the uncharted ocean to settle in a new land where they could serve God fully and raise their families to follow in their faith.
Think of our great patriarchs. Humans, yes, but God fearing believers. Picture George Washington praying with his half starved troops. Picture Abraham Lincoln on this knees praying during the dark days of the Civil War. Daniel Webster said, "If we abide by the principles taught in the Bible, our country will go on prospering; but if we and our posterity neglect its instructions and authority, no man can tell how sudden a catastrophe may overwhelm us and bury all our glory in profound obscurity."
WHAT MAKES A NATION GREAT
By Alexander Blackburn
- Not serried ranks with flags unfurled, Not armored ships that gird the world,
- Not hoarded wealth nor busy mills, Not cattle on a thousand hills,
- That land is great which knows the Lord, Whose songs are guided by His Word;
- Where justice rules 'twixt man and man, Where love controls in art and plan
- Where, breathing in his native air, Each soul finds joy in praise and prayer
- Thus may our country, good and great, Be God's delight - man's best estate.
Pray for Cephas Goodman, Billie Ann Goodman, Marcia McMurray, Faye Childs, Ruby Messer, Jackie Freeman, our Pastor and Teresa, also West Oaks Academy teachers & students. (Do you want us to collectively pray for you or one of our church acquaintances or friends? Please contact Sister Boatwright if you want her to include your prayer request in the bulletin.)
DID YOU KNOW?
- --Cephas Goodman is home from the hospital and on oxygen: he continues to improve. Praise the Lord.
- --George Washington was the only president unanimously elected.
- --James Madison and George Washingon were the only presidents to sign the Constitution.
- --The Contenders, led by Shirley Davis, meets monthly. Stay tuned for exact dates and times.
- --Psychologists say if you are lonely and sad, the best cure is to help someone else have a brighter day.
- Find someone to brighten their day. You will feel better. So will they.
WIT AND WISDOM
- **Attending church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.
- **Moses wandered around the wilderness for 40 years proving even in Biblical times, men didn't want to ask for directions.
- **We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone
- **In your prayer life, don't give God instructions, just report for duty