West Oaks Church of God Newsletter for October 02, 2022
Only heaven will reveal the times in our life when God protected us without our even being aware that we were in danger. Like when Moses led the Hebrew slaves out of Egypt and took them deep into the Sinai desert instead of directly to the Promised Land of Canaan. Exodus 13:17-18 says he led them that way so they wouldn't encounter the ferocious Philistines, be defeated in battle, and return to Egypt. We wonder if they ever realized just how many times God protected them.
When the Syrian army was poised to attack Israel, Elisha's servant was rightly concerned. When he asked the prophet what they should do, Elisha told him that there was an army larger than the Syrian army on their side. And God opened the servant's eyes to see the hills filled with horses and fiery chariots. God's heavenly angelic forces were adequate to keep Israel safe from harm.
It's easy to forget that God's resources are greater than the world's. Whatever you're facing today, God has filled His Word with promises. He made promises to Abraham and the patriarchs and not one promise failed. Nor will God's promises to you. You can trust Him with everything today.
"When I was going through COVid," said Joni Eareckson Tada, "the hardest part was having to stay in bed..... I wanted to be sitting up in my wheelchair so that I could breathe more easily. It was risky for me to be in bed because of my failed lungs. But the fact was, my husband was sicker than I and finding caregivers was nearly impossible ... So for a few days, I stayed in bed. And there, I depended on a different 'helper',just as it were. At night in bed and in the dark, God reminded me of His words 'I am He, I am He who will sustain you and I will rescue you.' Wow, I clung to that promise.
Pray for Teresa Parlier, Linnette Gayle, Donna Scott, Len Hayles, Cephas & Billie Ann Goodman, Rev. Gene Rice, Jackie Freeman, Patty Bucharan. Remember also to pray for our Pastor and the West Oaks School.
DID YOU KNOW?
- --As far as we know, everyone is safe and doing well since Ian hit the state and so thankful for that, as many were not that fortunate.
- --Here we are in the month of October already and feeling some of the Fall weather since Ian.
- --Sr. Parlier's went to their home in the mountains last week. Their son, Mark drove them and they escaped Ian here but maybe not there.
- --Jackie Freeman is facing knee surgery but because of other sickness complications, she may have to postpone the surgery. She has a blood infection she is struggling with and is very weak.
QUIPS AND QUOTES
- **My friend, single handedly, tries to save the economy every time she goes shopping.
- **My husband goes to a female dentist just for the novelty of hearing a woman tell him to open his mouth.
- **Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich.
- **Some people are so poor, all they have is money.
- **Shin: a device for finding furniture in the dark.
- **How do you tell when you run out of invisible ink?
- **For Sale: Parachute - only used once; never opened: small stain.
- **I poured Spot Remover on my dog - now he's gone.
- **The process of turning steam into water again is called conversation.
- **Always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care.
- **Sorrow looks back, worry looks around, faith looks up.