ON JULY 4, 1776 THIS GREAT NATION, THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, IN A STRUGGLE FOR WHAT WAS RIGHT AND FREE WAS PROUDLY BORN WHEN THE FINAL DRAFT OF THE DECLARATION OF iNDEPENDENCE WAS SIGNED. MAY WE CELEBRATE THAT PRECIOUS FREEDOM FOR WHICH OUR FOREBEARERS FOUGHT SO BRAVELY.
There have been freedom fighters all over the world. Those who participated in the American Revolution in the eighteenth century could be called freedom fighters. They sought to throw off what they considered an oppressive yoke of burdensome taxation and subjugation without representation.
The apostle Paul can be considered a freedom fighter as well. When he began spreading the Gospel of grace through Jesus Christ apart from the law, some Jewish believers attempted to impose the yoke of the law on Paul's Gospel. His response? "To whom we did not yield submission even for an hour, that the truth of the gospel might continue" (Galatians 2:5). Paul took the Galatian Christians to task for replacing freedom in Christ with an obligation to the requirements of the law. Once Paul tasted true spiritual freedom, he never looked back.
If you have found freedom in Christ, "you shall be free indeed" (John 8:36). Join Paul as a spiritual fighter for the Gospel of freedom!
Pray for Teresa Parlier, Len Hayles, Glenda Hampton, Cephas and Billie Ann Goodman, Peaches, Jackie Freeman, Patty Bulcharan, Pastor and our West Oaks Academy students and teachers.
DID YOU KNOW?
- --Shirley is away visiting relatives for a couple weeks in Nashville.
- --Jackie is dog sitting for friends as they travel overseas.
- --Marcia has been transferred to Gainesville where her caretaker lives. I will be forwarding her address in a future bulletin.
- --There is an annual yard sale so large it runs through six states. It begins in Addison, Michigan, and ends in Gadsen, Alabama and covers 690 miles. This event started in 1987, when a Tennessee County Executive conceived of the idea to encourage travelers to bypass big interstate highways in favor of experiencing life in more rural communities.
WORDS FROM SOLOMON
- **The Lord is wisdom and out of His mouth cometh knowledge and understanding.
- **Get wisdom, get understanding: forget it not; neither decline from the words of My mouth.
- **Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
- **Be not afraid of sudden fear, neither of the desolation of the wicked, when it cometh.
- **The wise shall inherit glory; but shame shall be the promotion of fools.
- **For whoso findeth me findeth life, and shall obtain favour of the Lord.
- **The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.
- **A wise son heareth his father's instruction: but a scorner heareth not rebuke.
- **He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.
- **A soft answer turneth away wrath; but grievous words stir up anger.