At this time we are called to honor the lives and memory of all those who have lived and died for freedom. We honor their sacrifice and recall the price paid for our own freedom.
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
- I watched the flag pass by one day, it fluttered in the breeze,
- A young Marine saluted it, and then He stood at ease.
- I looked at him in uniform, so young, so tall, so proud,
- With hair cut square and eyes alert, he'd stand out in any crowd.
- I thought how many men like him, had fallen through the years,
- How many died on foreign soil? How many mother's tears.
- How many pilots' planes shot down? How many died at sea?
- How many foxholes were soldiers' graves? No freedom is not free.
- I heard the sound of taps one night, when everything was still,
- I listened to the bugler play and felt a sudden chill,
- I wondered just how many times that taps had meant "Amen."
- When a flag had draped a coffin of a brother or a friend.
- I thought of all the children, of the mothers and the wives,
- Of fathers, sons and husbands with interrupted lives.
- I thought about a graveyard at the bottom of the sea
- Of unmarked graves in Arlington, no, FREEDOM is not FREE!
JESUS WAS ANOINTED TO BRING FREEDOM TO THE DESTITUTE, THE AFFLICTED, TO THOSE IN DESPAIR AND ALL THE OPPRESSED. WE MUST ALWAYS REMEMBER THE SACRIFICE HE MADE FOR US ON CALVARY AS HE SET US FREE FROM SIN AND DEATH!
Remember to pray for Barbara Minger, Ruby Messer, Fred Robinson, Sherylyn and Duane Boykin, Janet Parlier, Jackie Freeman, our pastor and pastor's wife, and our West Oaks Academy.
A request from our Mission Department in Cleveland has asked everyone to pray for the City of Goma in the Eastern Congo of Africa.
A deadly volcano, Mt. Nyiragongo, is threatening the entire City with great destruction and potential loss of many lives. We have people and churches in this area and help is being prepared. For donations go to www.cogwm.org. which is the mission department of the Church of God.
DID YOU KNOW
- --Jasmine plans to return to Florida from Mississippi where she has been staying with her daughters. We hope to see her soon here at West Oaks.
- --Leaving High School and becoming millionaires, twins Matt Bewley and Ryan Bewley have signed with a new U.S. Pro league. They are the first American basketball players to sign with this new league.
- --A former NFL player, Jason Brown, left a life of luxury to bless others through Farm Ministry. At the time Jason was the league's highest paid professional football player, grossing $37.5 million until giving it all up to follow God's call to "live a more humble lifestyle" on First Fruits Farm in Freeland, Maryland, where the harvest is donated to those in need. Jason and his wife, Tay, trusted in God, even in insecurity, to lead them to their divine destiny. Brown says he had to remember, "In God there is no failure," because "that's how awesome and loving He is."
WIT AND WISDOM
- **Patriotism consists not in waving the flag, but in striving that our country shall be righteous as well as strong.
- **If you want to live to see ninety, don't look for it on your speedometer.
- **Egotism is the art of seeing things in yourself that others cannot see.
- **The word 'virus' is a word coined by someone who couldn't spell pneumonia.
- **Don't learn the tricks of the trade; learn the trade.
- **The government is not only living beyond its income, but also beyond everybody's.
- **The person who knows little, soon repeats it.
- **The last thing on earth you want to do will be the last thing you do.