West Oaks Church of God Newsletter for November 06, 2022
When we are facing a crisis, one of the most comforting things we can hear a friend say is, "Don't worry, I can walk you through the solution. I'll be right over." What would you call such a person? A friend? A guide? A counselor? A comforter? Or perhaps all of those terms would be appropriate.
All those terms can be applied to the Holy Spirit whom Jesus promised to send to His followers--when He said in John 14:16: "And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Comforter (Counselor, Helper, Intercessor, Advocate, Strengthener, and Standby), that He may remain with you forever." The Greek word for "Comforter" is parakletos, one called alongside to help, comfort, strengthen, encourage, or counsel. When a friend, or the Holy Spirit, does those things for us, the net result is comfort; we are comforted in our moment of need.
Because God is good,and if we invite the Holy Spirit into our lives, He gives us the gift of the Holy Spirit. Let the Holy Spirit comfort you through the patience and truth found in God's Word (Romans 15:4-5).
Linnette Gayle and her daughter in England. Jackie Freeman, John (Jackie's son), Donna Scott, Barbara Minger, Len Hayles, Cephas & Billie Ann Goodman, Rev. Gene Rice, Robert Boatwright. Remember also to pray for our Pastor and wife, our teachers, the West Oaks School and the Peace of Jerusalem.
DID YOU KNOW?
- --WE NEED A VOLUNTEER SUNDAY MORNINGS to make the coffee here at church. If you would like to volunteer, please talk to Teresa.
- --Scott Lucas, our bass guitarist has been with our church for 20 years.
- --Tony Pennella also plays guitar for our music.
- --Ken Franzetta plays on the steel guitar.
- --Brian Woodpasture is the electric violinist.
- --Dennis Der is the drummer
- --Walter Frisbee is our saxophone player.
- --Roger Mike is our organist.
- --Pastor on the piano and singer and preacher.
- --Frankie Powell, song leader and singer.
- --Shirley Davis also our singer and praiser.
- --We are so blessed to have such wonderful music and singing each week.
- --Last Sunday the Corder's, Grayson and Judy, were with us in service. They also live in Zellwood Station and Grayson is Donna Scott's cousin.
- --We also had a friend that came with Glenda visiting us last Sunday.
**************************************************** QUIPS AND QUOTES
- **What would you take for your Bible if you knew you could not obtain another?
- **If you have a good excuse, don't use it.
- **Living in the past has sone thing in its favor-it's cheaper.
- **Men, the easiest way to get your wife's attention is by looking comfortable.
- **Forbidden frits create many jams.
- **Trust in God...but lock your car.
- **The wages of sin have never been reduced.
- **It is wise to act wise, unless you are otherwise.
- **Most of God's troubles with laborers in His vineyard is absenteeism