TODAY IS FATHER'S DAY AND WE WELCOME ALL OUR DADS
Father's Day was conceptualized by Ms. Sonora Smart Dodd, a loving daughter from Spokane, Washington and encouraged by the love of her father, William Smart, in the year 1910. Smart, a civil war veteran, raised Sonora and her 5 siblings, single handedly after the death of her mother.
Father's Day became a permanent national day of observance in 1972 when President Nixon established it as a national holiday to be held on the third Sunday of June.
Many people find it difficult to think of God as a loving Father. They see Him through eyes clouded with the pain of past experiences with an ungodly father or stepfather.
Many of us know the Scriptures and the theology behind God's great love for His children, yet very few of us have learned to appropriate that love and therefore we are not enjoying the benefits of having it.
Listen to how God described Himself to Moses: "The Lord God, merciful and gracious, long suffering, and abounding in goodness and truth, keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin" (Exodus 34:6-7) When we go to the Lord in prayer and worship, we should be very careful what kind of image of God we take into His presence. He wants us to approach Him fully convinced that He loves us.
Today let us honor all our dads who have filled their place in our economy as leaders in their family and country. There seems to be a shortage of Dads today, with many homes operating without that needed leader. Moms are important and necessary but the dads are also a must for the best results in the Family structure. Some have said goodbye to their dads and others here still have a living father. If possible, make some contact with your dad today and thank him for raising you and loving you.
Remember to pray for Barbara Minger, Ruby Messer, Fred Robinson, Sherylyn and Duane Boykin, Janet Parlier, Jackie Freeman, Jewel Allen, our pastor and pastor's wife, and our West Oaks Academy.
A FATHER'S DAY PRAYER
DEAR HOLY FATHER,
WE ASK THAT YOU BLESS ALL OF OUR FATHERS: GUIDE THEM TO BE GOOD ROLE MODELS & LOVING TO THEIR CHILDREN. WE ALSO ASK THAT YOU HELP THEM TO BE A FATHER LIKE YOU ARE. GIVE THEM GRACE & PATIENCE TO HANDLE SITUATIONS IN A LOVING WAY.
WIT AND WISDOM
- --It is easy to take a day off, but extremely difficult to put it back.
- --Blessed indeed is the man who hears many gentle voices call him Father.
- --A parents life is a child's instruction manual.
- --A father is someone you can look up to no matter how tall you get.
- --No man ever got lost on a straight road.
- --The best tranquilizer is a clear conscience.
- --Effective prayer is prayer in secret.
- --The Bible must not be deleted or diluted.
- --Tomorrow is often the busiest day of the year.
- --When dressing, don't forget to put on a smile.
- --Always do unto others as though you were the others.
- --Character is easier kept than recovered.
- --Watch your step. Everyone else does.
- --What you give, lives.
- --There are two kinds of grace: saving grace and disgrace.