Earlier this year, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle announced they were stepping away from the British royal family. They've reportedly bought a nearly 15 million dollar mansion in the Montecito area of Southern California. The seven-acre estate has nine bedrooms, a guesthouse, a teahouse, a tennis court, a swimming pool, an elevator, and a gym. Perhaps that was the right move for them.
Jesus made a different move. The Prince of Peace left the royal throne of heaven on a mission to provide redemption for the world. When He came to earth, He didn't inhabit a mansion in Jerusalem or dwell in an expansive villa in the Roman world. He lived in poverty, worked with His hands in the blazing sun, traveled as a preacher without a pillow for His head, and died without a shekel to His name. All of that so we might inherit mansions in the heavens?
The Bible defines the "grace of our Lord Jesus Christ" as this--"that though He was rich, yet for your sakes He became poor, that you through His poverty might become rich." (2 Corinthians 8:9).
Pray for Len Hayles, Barbara Minger, Ruby Messer, Jackie Freeman, Jewel Allen, Skip Glover, our pastor and wife, and our West Oaks Academy teachers and students.
DID YOU KNOW?
- --Mark Rawski's twin brother, Ken, just passed away. Remember to pray for the Rawski family.
- --Shirley Davis will be starting the 'Contender's ' Prayer Group on October 7th at 6:30 p.m. Everyone is invited to come to the church for a time of prayer.
- --Last week Pastor & Teresa were away to attend an honor ceremony for their son-in-law. Frankie did a great job of filling in for pastor & Brother Minger preached a wonderful sermon. It's been a long time since pastor took off a Sunday & so glad he was able to get away.
- --Last Thursday was Yom Kiper, the holiest day of the year for Jews.
BITS OF WIT AND HUMOR
- **It isn't your position that makes you happy or unhappy, it's your disposition.
- **I'm not a has-been, I'm a will-be.
- **Don't point a finger - lend a hand.
- **Once a task has begun, Never leave it until it's done.
- **Tough the task be great or small, Do it well or not at all.
- **The best way to get even is to forget.
- **It isn't difficult to make a mountain out of a molehill, just add a little dirt.
- **Sorrow looks back, worry looks around, and faith looks up.
- **The mighty oak tree was once a little nut that held its ground.
- **In order to get a loan, you must first prove you don't need it.
- **A bird in hand is safer than one overhead.
- **You will always find something in the last place you look.