FIRM REFUSAL ... from Our Daily Bread
When the Nazis drafted Franz Jagerstatter during World War II, he completed military basic training but refused to take the required pledge of personal loyalty to Adolf Hitler. Authorities allowed Franz to return to his farm, but they later summoned him to active duty. After seeing Nazi ideology up close and learning of the Jewish genocide, however, Jagerstatter decided his loyalty to God meant he could never fight for the Nazis. He was arrested and sentenced to execution, leaving behind his wife and three daughters.
Over the years, many believers in Jesus - under peril of death - have offered a firm refusal when commanded to disobey God. The story of Daniel is one such story. When a royal edict threatened that anyone "who prayed to any god or human being except the king" (Daniel 6:12) would be thrown into the lions' den, Daniel discarded safety and remained faithful. "Three times a day he got down on his knees and prayed, giving thanks to His God, just he had done before." The prophet would bend his knee to God - and only God - no matter the cost.
Sometimes, our choice is clear. Though everyone around us implores us to go along with prevailing opinion - though our own reputation or well - being may be at risk - may we never turn from our obedience to God. Sometimes, even at great cost, all we can offer is a firm refusal.
Remember to pray for Barbara Minger, Ruby Messer, Fred Robinson, Sherylyn and Duane Boykin, Tom Sr. , Jackie Freeman, our pastor and pastor's wife, and our West Oaks Academy.
DID YOU KNOW?
- **This year the population of the world will be more than 7.8 billion people - of which you are one individual.
- **Recent estimates show that the total number of people who have ever lived on planet earth range from 90 - 110 billion.
- **The earliest archaeological discovery of God's covenant name - Yahweh - - was found on two silver amulets near Jerusalem. Amulets were small pieces of jewelry, typically thought to be protective from evil or harm. What did the amulets have inscribed on them? The "Aaronic blessing" found in Numbers 6:24 - 26, in which God's name, Yahweh - the Lord occurs three times.
- **It's not hard to see why amulets would have the Aaronic blessing inscribed on them. What harm could come to one who is so cared for by Yahweh?
WIT AND WISDOM
- - - Time to stop criticizing America and take time to celebrate America.
- - - If you crossed a Patriot with a curly - haired dog, what would you get? A Yankee Poodle.
- - - Why is it called Independence Day if we celebrate it with a lot of people?
- - - What did Daniel tell his real estate agent? "I want a house without a den."
- - - What size was the lumber used by Noah to build the Ark? 2X2.