Maria Monsen, a Norwegian missionary in China during the early 1900s, lived in constant danger from the gangs of outlaws & soldiers who terrorized China. One time she was with 3 other missionaries engaged in Gospel meetings and news came that a local militia had lost in battle & were headed toward their town - intent on revenge, killing everyone they met including women & children.
The missionaries gathered the local believers into a home & reminded them of Peter 5:7 that God cared for them. Early the next day, the butt-end of a gun battered on the gate and Marie opened it to find one solitary soldier who she let in. He was astonished to find the small group of smiling people who invited him to have a cup of tea. They fed him and told him about the Lord. As he left, the soldier said no one else would bother them.
The looting soldiers left town and the Christians were spared. Marie later said "It was unutterably marvelous to experience the peace Jesus spoke of which the world cannot give."
Pray for Teresa Parlier, Len Hayles, Janet Parlier, Marcia McMurray, Faye Childs, Scott Lucas, Barbara Minger, Ruby Messer, Brenda (Donna Ward's daughter), Jackie Freeman, Cephas and Billie Ann Goodman, our pastor and pastor's wife, and our West Oaks Academy teachers and students.
DID YOU KNOW?
- --Teresa Parlier has a birthday the 30th of this month.
- --Marcia McMurray is in West Metro Recovery Rehab since her fall.
- --Faye Childs is in the Apopka Hospital with kidney problems.
- --Pastor and his Mom are both improving from their illness.
- --The Girls Varsity next game is February 1, Tuesday at 5:30
- --The Contenders met this past Thursday and will meet again in February. Their new day, however, will be Sunday afternoon. More information to come.
- --Our Melba is flying out to visit her spiritual daughter this week and we will miss her welcoming us with hot coffee and donuts. Many thanks to those who are filling in for her (Shirley and Cathy).
WIT AND WISDOM BY MARTIN LUTHER KING
- --The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort, but where he stands in times of challenge.
- --Oh God, help us to walk together, pray together, sing together, & live together until that day when all God's children, Black, White, Red, & Yellow, will rejoice in one common band of humanity in the kingdom of our Lord.
- --To be a Christian without prayer is no more possible than to be alive without breathing.
- --Christianity affirms that at the heart of reality is a loving Father who works through history for the salvation of His children.
- --Man cannot save himself; man needs a savior.
- --We must develop & maintain the capacity to forgive. He who is devoid of the power to forgive is devoid of the power to love.
- --There is some good in the worst of us & some evil in the best of us. When we discover this, we are less prone to hate our enemies.
- --Intelligence plus character is the true goal of education.
- --We must live together as brothers and sisters or we will die together as fools.
- --Life's most persistent question is "What are we doing for others?"
- --Every genuine expression of love grows out of a consistent and total surrender to God.